Minoritized Iberian Languages: Asturian 101 Series
Linguistic Justice and Multimodal Variation Workshop Series
Miriam Villazón Valbuena, PhD candidate at the University of California, Riverside, is organizing a series of events in collaboration with UCR College of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences; UCR Center for Ideas and Society; and the Department of Hispanic Studies at UC Riverside.
All events feature lectures by Professor Claudia Elena Menéndez Fernández, from the University of Oviedo, Spain, about different aspects of the Asturian language, and are followed by roundtables with other experts on Asturian language and culture.
These events are free and open to the public. To attend, please register through the link in the posters, or by scanning their QR code. These are the topics and dates:
· Industrias culturales, April 18th, 2023, 9am (Pacific time), with Isabel Álvarez Sancho (Oklahoma State University), Nicolás Bardio (Ediciones Radagast), Blanca Fernández Quintana (“No que cinca los seres de lleenda”), Xicu Ariza (www.musicasturiana.com) and Diego Solís (Revista Formientu).
· Lengua y escolarización, March 6th, 2023, 9am (Pacific time), with Claudia Elena Menéndez Fernández (Universidá d’Uviéu), María Turrero-García (Drew University), Inaciu Galán y González (Academia de la Llingua Asturiana) and Andrea Faber (Kansas State University).
· Lengua y archivo, February 23, 2023, 9am (Pacific time), with Claudia Elena Menéndez Fernández (Universidá d’Uviéu), Covadonga Lamar Prieto (University of California, Riverside) and Cristina Bleorţu (University of Zürich).
· Introducción a las lenguas minorizadas: El asturiano, January 26, 2023, 9am (Pacific time), with Claudia Elena Menéndez Fernández (Universidá d’Uviéu), Darío de Dios Sanz (Universidá d’Uviéu), Avelino Corral Esteban (Universidad Autónoma de Madrid) and Miriam Villazón Valbuena (University of California, Riverside).
SAnTINA Conference 2023
Society for the Analysis of cultural Topics and linguistic Identities N’Asturies
Inside and Outside Asturies
We welcome papers related to the field of Asturian Studies, understood in the broader sense of examining the language, culture and history of Asturias and Asturian people from the perspective of the social sciences and the humanities. Topics might include, but are not limited to, Asturian language, linguistics, literature, cinema, music, visual arts, history, activism, migration, sports, industry, health, and the environment.
This second iteration of the SAnTINA conference will be hosted by Oklahoma State University and led by Prof. Isabel Álvarez Sancho, Associate Professor at Oklahoma State University and vice president of the academic initiative Asturian Studies. It will be held completely virtually on May 3rd and 4th, 2023, and is free of charge for participants.
SAnTINA 2023 is coordinated in collaboration with the Asturian Studies working group, whose president, Prof. Covadonga Lamar Prieto, and community manager Miriam Villazón Valbuena, both from University of California-Riverside, hosted the first SAnTINA conference in 2021. Asturian Studies/SAnTINA is an academic initiative aimed to continue developing the field of Asturian Studies as well as to disseminate Asturian culture internationally.
- Abstracts and participants’ information must be submitted through this google form by January 15th, 2023 (extended deadline).
- Authors may submit up to two abstracts, one individual and one jointly.
- Contributions may be in Asturian, Spanish, English or a combination of them.
- Notifications of acceptance will be sent starting January 31st.
Summary of Important Dates and Information
- Conference Dates: May 3rd and 4th, 2023
- Modality: Zoom
- Abstract Submission Deadline: January 15th, 2023 (extended deadline).
- Notifications of acceptance/rejection: starting January 31st.
- Submission link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe1ypsNN6n2A7-SlG_la-ZjN3l6A7xh_WYsUs3lOv1rapHvQg/viewform
- Webpage: https://santinaconference.wordpress.com/
- Please direct any questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Diaspóriques: Conversaciones con la diáspora
Every summer, we organize in Xixón a series of roundtables focused on dialogues between Asturian academics and cultural creators who reside inside and outside of Asturias. It is hosted by the Laboral, Ciudad de la Cultura, and sponsored by the Principado de Asturias. The events are free and open to the public.
During the 2022 inaugural year we had two roundtables, presented in tandem with the Seminariu de Filoloxía Asturiana from the Universidad de Oviedo. The first one, entitled “El asturiano dentro y fuera de Asturias” featured a conversation between Covadonga Lamar Prieto, from the University of California-Riverside, Ramón D’Andrés, from the Universidad de Oviedo, and Imanol Suárez Palma, from the University of Florida. The second round table developed the topic “El asturiano y las redes sociales” and included Miriam Villazón Valbuena, from the University of California-Riverside, and Claudia Menéndez Fernández, from the University of Oviedo. It was moderated by Isabel Álvarez Sancho, from Oklahoma State University.
Our concern about the increase of COVID-19 cases in Asturies during the month of July made us stop the conversations for the summer. We will be back next year with more fascinating topics.
Estudios Asturianos in ALCESXXI
In July, 2022, we met in the University of Oviedo, within the V Jornadas ALCES XXI, to share our research on Asturian Studies. Our seminar, organized by Isabel Álvarez Sancho (Oklahoma State University) and Covadonga Lamar Prieto (University of California Riverside), included Eva Álvarez Vázquez (University of Massachusetts Amherst), Luke Bowe (New York University), Luis Cuesta (University of Albany), Llorián García Flórez (University of Oviedo), Darío Sánchez González (Gustavus Adolphus College), Miriam Villazón Valbuena (University of California Riverside) and Nataliya Shestakova (University of Castilla-La Mancha).
For more information see: http://www.alcesxxi.org/home/estudios-asturianos-organizado-por-isabel-alvarez-sancho-y-covadonga-lamar-prieto/
I SAnTiNA Conference
In October, 2021, we celebrated the inaugural SAnTINA conference, organized by Covadonga Lamar Prieto and Miriam Villazón Valbuena, from the University of California, Riverside, with twenty-four presentations from professors, graduate students and creative writers from nineteen different universities in the US and Canada. To learn more about this event, go to the Santina Conference Webpage:
To learn more about this event, go to: https://santinaconference.wordpress.com/